Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday morning, 30 years of dawning...

It's been nearly three decades since Bono first screamed those opening words to "Out of Control" on U2's debut album, "Boy."

If only that Bono had known that 29 years later, on a Monday morning, the world would be heralding the relase of his band's 15th studio album.

Today is the worldwide release of No Line on the Horizon, the first U2 album since 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Of course, most of the world has already heard the new album, thanks to online leaks and a massive screw-up by the band's label in Australia.

(By the way, if you can't wait until you get the real thing in your hands, you can listen to it on teh band's myspace page.)

I, myself, have heard only three songs on the new album - Get on Your Boots (the lead single), Breathe and I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight.

Based on those three songs, along with what I've heard from those who have already digested "No Line," I can say that this album promises to be a serious change-up from the band's last two albums.

"All that You Can't Leave Behind" in 2000 returned U2 to its anthemic-rock roots, with a collection of songs that were both accessible and radio-friendly (see: "Beautiful Day.")

Four years later, U2 released "Bomb," which was less radio-friendly and a bit darker than its predecessor, but still an album that appealed to the masses.

"No Line on the Horizon," I think, will evoke differing reactions among both U2 fans and the general public. I think many will love the album and insist upon its genius (like ... in the Rolling Stone, who gave the album a Five-star, "masterpiece" review).

Others may not be so sure. While I'm not going to search one out, I'm sure you can find plenty of average-to-worse reviews of the CD.

But the beauty of being a U2 fan is that - honestly, it doesn't matter. There will be plenty in this new album that connects to me and means something to me, regardless of whether it gets (or deserves) the acclaim of The Joshua Tree.

I love every U2 album - yes even "Pop." Because Pop brought us plenty of gems, like the emotional verocity of "If God Will Send His Angels," the techno-rock of "Gone," and the unique classicness of "Please."

And Pop, like all U2 albums, means more to U2 fans than just another album.

That's because U2 is not just another band.

Enjoy the new album, world.

No comments: