Monday, January 19, 2009

Let me in the sound...

You know that feeling you get when a friend or family member returns home after years away?

Sure, you may have talked to them over the phone or e-mail, you've got pictures of them around your place... but there's nothing like seeing them again in person after a long break.

It's sort of like seeing them again for the first time.

Well, that's my emotion when I hear a new U2 song. I felt it when I heard "Beautiful Day" for the first time back in 2000, I felt it when I heard "Vertigo" debut in 2004, and I experienced it again in 2006 when "Window in the Skies" first hit the airwaves.

And today I felt it with the debut of "Get On Your Boots" - the new single from U2's upcoming 12th studio album, "No Line on the Horizon."

Sure, I've been listening to plenty of U2 recently. I've watched some live DVD's, read some good interviews, popped in "October" for another listen.

But there's nothing like hearing Bono scream and Edge's guitar blaze and Adam's bass sway and Larry's drums rock - and I mean, absolutely, positively rock.

It's sort of like hearing the best band in the world again - for the first time.

Check out the song here.

The best way I would describe the song to a U2 fan is: Fast Cars meets The Fly meets Vertigo meets a Muse guitar riff.

The best way I would describe it to a non-U2 fan is: this is some crazy stuff.

Lyrics to "Get on Your Boots"

The future needs a big kiss
Winds blow with a twist
Never seen a moon like this
Can you see it too?

Night is falling everywhere
Rockets at the funfair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

Free me from the dark dream
Candy floss, ice cream
All the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren’t real

Here’s what you gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity if joy is real

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know how beautiful
You are

You don’t know
You get it do you?
You don’t know
How beautiful you are

That's someone's stuff they're blowing up
We’re into growing up
Women are the future
All the big revelations

I’ve gotta submarine, you’ve got gasoline
I don’t wanna talk about wars between nations
Not right now

Sexy boots
Get on your boots yeah
Bossy boots

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know how beautiful
You are

You don’t know
You get it do you?
You don’t know
How beautiful you are

Sexy boots
I don’t wanna talk about the wars between the nations
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound sound
Let me in the sound sound
Let me in the sound
God I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound sound
Let me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah yeah, yeah
Get on your boots
Hey, hey, hey
Get on your boots
Get on your boots


Welcome home, U2...

No comments: